Wizard Of Cause

'Paying attention to the Man behind the curtain'

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Real Mystery Of Eckankar

I found this Video on U-Tube and I think it's very good. It shows that the path called 'Eckankar' was invented by Paul Twitchell in the Sixties. I was in Eckankar for seventeen years. I was around when 'The Spiritual Counterfeit Project' sent literature to all the Eck Centres to inform the members that the path was a fraud. Darwin Gross, who was the leader of Eckankar at that time told, everyone to throw away the literature without reading it. Most people did. We were told it was the work of the negative force; the 'Kal' and was a trick to take us away from the true path. In 1981, Darwin decided to hand over the leadership of the organization to Harold Klemp, who is still in charge now. But in the process, Darwin and Harold had a big rift which became a very public fight that created a lot of confusion in the Organization. I think Darwin just wanted to have someone do the day to day administration work so he could do the fun stuff. He's a musician and even started a concert tour before he realized it was just too much for his health to take. The thing I think Darwin failed to realize was that Harold wasn't a weakling who would just do whatever he was told to do. He had his own ideas. In the end, the Higher initiates had to decide which of the two 'masters' to support and they chose Harold. But as a result of the in-fighting, a lot of us started to doubt the Path and many like myself started researching the Organization for ourselves. I read every book in Eckankar and listened to every tape Paul Twitchell recorded. I took notes and collected the excerpts from his tapes that I thought related to the validity and purpose of the path. I was able to conclude that he did indeed invent Eckankar. There are many bitter people who feel they were lied to and cheated by Twitchell, Gross and Klemp. But there is one aspect to this that I never hear mentioned. Twitchell did a great job of researching the Eastern philosophies and explaining them to the West in a way no one had ever done before. I was able to use the Cosmology of Eckankar as a basis for understanding the whole Universe. The model I got from Paul's teachings has been invaluable for me as a stepping stone to my own spiritual growth. What puzzles so many of us who were around in the early days of Eckankar is why Paul thought he had to make up the mythology of the line of Eck Masters. Too bad Paul didn't trust us enough to just present his ideas and share the great research he had done. Why he thought he had to create an imaginary Path, that's the real mystery of Eckankar.

No comments: